The rantings and ravings of the Army life

...and life in general

The Facts:

My photo
I am a nurse, a mother, an Army wife and a National Guard soldier. I love all my jobs and my family. I tend to cry too much, laugh too loud, and make jokes that are offensive. I'm a nature-loving, gym addict, and overall fun person. I hate drama, but I love me some good gossip!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Speedracer

Ok well I have been driving for about 11 yrs now and have thus far been able to avoid a ticket of any kind. I have never been sited for an accident, a parking ticket, running a stop light, let alone speeding! I know I have done all of these and I thanked my lucky stars that I have never gotten caught. I consider myself a defensive, yet safe driver.
Well let me tell you about Hawaii driving. First of all the speed limits are ridiculously low and the drivers are super slow and hazardous. On the freeway, everyone goes the same obnoxious speed in all the lanes! So when you try to pass in the fast lane, you are surely to get stuck behind a bad driver taking their time. We are not on ALOHA time here!
Well today I decided I wanted to drive my husband to work so I could take my son to the zoo. As I was leaving post, I was spacing out and missed the green light. I am So not awake in the morning. So Kunia road is the way we travel a lot. It is a two lane road that looks like the country. On either side of the road used to be a pineapple farm, so it's way desolate. Why would the speed limit be 35?
BORING drive! And wouldn't you know that as I was still in la la land, and following a herd of about 6 cars(being in the last spot), a cop is hanging out with his radar out the window.
Well I wasn't concerned because I was trailing a lot of other cars going the same speed. But of course the cop can't get all of us, so it was me...oh lucky me!
Well he showed me the radar gun, to add insult to injury. But I thought I was in the clear because the sign I was literally parked in front of said 45mph. So the cop tells me I was going 16 over!
What???!!!
I pointed to the sign and he states "ma'am I clocked you in the 35 mph zone going this speed."
Bullcrap! I think.
SO I try to state my claim, which gets me a lot of stares and no response. Finally he says, "well ma'am, you can take it to court or I can lower it to 15mph over and you will less of a fine".
Whatever!
I am steaming mad, and thinking this can't be happening to me, the most anal about speeding person I know.
But it did. And now I'm mad and totally disappointed.
After all that's said and done he asks me "Just how long have you lived in Hawaii?"
I'm thinking, "like it matters!"
He just wanted me to know in his nonchalant way that because I am not local that I must be a retarded mainland driver.
SO here I am defeated and sour about the cops here, I guess I was still in the wrong, but c'mon now. Couldn't I just have gotten a warning? Oh well, $132 later.....

2 comments:

Jrzy Army Wife said...

its all good my lat non MP pull over was $147 but it was totally my fault.

Meagan said...

Slow your ass down!!! :D